Friday, October 14, 2011

Following my passion and selling Real Estate, one and the same?

“Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on.”    Steve Jobs Stanford Commencement address June 12, 2005.

That is how I feel about Real Estate. It is truly a culmination of the best
parts of every job that I have ever held in my life. And every year is better than the last. Here are some examples..

-My first job out of university was at a hotel. I quickly rose up the ranks and before long, I was managing the executive lounge. I have always had a passion for customer service, but working for a company like Sheraton, I was able to really learn how to listen to the customer and to exceed their expectations. I was empowered to do whatever was needed to make my guests happy. Working as a Realtor, I am my own boss, and I have the power to make my clients experiences the best that they can be. I live for how happy I can make my clients.

-I used to work as an Account Executive for a job placement company. My job included matching up candidates with jobs. The best placements were the ones where the employee fit into the culture of the company that they were to work in. I use these skills daily when listening to buyers talk about their next home. We discuss their "top 5 dealbreakers*" and other things about their lives and families that are essential when choosing where they will live next.  

-Ok, this one was not a job, but I have a degree in Psychology. I have always been interested in people, learning about thought processes, and understanding people's motivations. Problem solving is one of my specialties. I use these skills daily when I deal with other agents. I use these skills daily when I get to know my clients and their lives. Real Estate is a very intense process. It is critical that you like the agent that you work with and vice versa. You will be spending a lot of time with your Realtor, dealing with a tedious process (see below), so pick someone that you can have some fun with!

I often come across people that look like they feel bad for me when I tell them that I sell Real Estate for a living. Aside from the misconception about the Real Estate market on the Westside, I truly think that there are still Realtors out there that don't like what they do for a living and as a result, make an already tedious process, that much worse for their clients. I always tell my clients that the home buying and selling process can be excrutiating for them, but the good news is that it is temporary. The end result will either be the proceeds of your sale in your bank account, or the keys to your dream home in your hand. My clients often say that they can't imagine ever doing what I do for a living. To them, the process is an absolute nightmare. To me, well, I can't imagine doing anything else. I feel so lucky to have found my calling. Take all of that, plus I get to help people realize their dream of home ownership, and I get paid too? I really do have the best job in the world. Lucky me! If you are curious to see what my clients are saying about me, click here to read some testimonials.

*For more info on what a "Top 5 dealbreaker" list is, contact me at Revi@ReviMendelsohn.com, or on the phone at 310-838-3056.

No comments:

Post a Comment